Welcome to the
Red Wing Marine Museum
The Red Wing Marine Museum is in one of the city’s historical venues along the river and depicts one of the oldest manufacturing industries-the boat and motor business. It sits very near the site of the original factory where Red Wing-made boats and motors were made and launched.
The Red Wing Marine Museum is in an historic building on Levee Road across from the boathouse village. The museum displays restored Red Wing Thorobred marine engines, outboard motors and a display of fishing tackle, photographs, documents and other river-related items. When the American Queen is docked at Red Wing, stop at Levee Park and see the largest river steamboat ever built. Then walk or take the short drive to our museum.
More than 30 fully restored Thorobreds are on permanent display along with photos and other momentos.
Red WingMotor Co
…is one of Minnesota’s earliest, significant manufacturing enterprises. The original enterprise began in 1902 and went through a series of phases in ownership and management until 1979. Products that were made in Red Wing were sold world-wide.
Red Wing Thorobreds
water-cooled inboard motors began to achieve world-wide recognition.
Both gas and diesel versions were manufactured. These Red Wing Thorobred motors were used in the commercial fishing industry as well as governmental agencies, including the Canadian Navy, the U.S. Coast Guard.